The EVE Online annual Fanfest came to a close yesterday and I presume the neckbeards are on their way home brimming with stories and headaches. Us unfortunate peasants who saw difficulties selling our significant others a trip to a windy rock in the North Atlantic as a romantic getaway vacation had to watch the gathering via Twitch. And it was a good show.
First of all, CCP deserves credit for being very clear about the scope of the event. A party was to be had, CSM was to be announced, information about the new refineries was to be shared and the new citizen science project was to be introduced. Add to this the staple of graphics updates, some balancing announcement, the introduction of a few new capital ships and a new “incursion-like” PvE mechanic and we were done. Lastly, CCP did announce the launch of a new VR game later this year, kind of like 3D tennis. Looks neat. I am sure if I had a VR headset I would look into it. I don’t and hence I won’t.
Famous curmudgeon Jester posted his concern that no new large-scale release was planned, the community shrugged and moved on. For the nullsec teams that populate Reddit, just about enough content is released to keep them happy for a year. However, the rest of us got exactly nothing.
Lets try a list of what I remember (please let me know if I missed anything):
- New Player Experience: Continuous improvement. All regions, obviously.
- New PvE mechanic: Incursion-style raid mechanic with intelligent foes. Likely only accessible for well organized, large teams. While the mechanic could be rolled out anywhere, the first iteration will be launched exclusively in Goon Space.
- New faction captial ships. Nullsec / Lowsec.
- Citizen Science: Exoplanet hunting. Why this is in the client and not on an App is not easy to understand. But yes its for all regions, I guess.
- Refineries and new moon-mining mechanic: Nullsec / Lowsec only with no firm plans to do roll out anything to WH or High Sec
- New shaders, new graphics. Yes, a shiny Vexor, amazing graphics for the suns. All regions. EVE is really, really pretty.
Anything I forgot? Oh yes, CSM 12. A virtual sweep for the few Nullsec power blocs with a sprinkle of part-time wormholer Noobman and industrial generalist Steve Ronuken. I wrote before about the CSM and am not too concerned about the lack of diversity. The new delegates seem to be fairly experienced and hence will contribute to make the overall game better. However, the EVE community chooses their delegates based on their region and it is telling that true highsec / lowsec / WH representation could be achieved.
As usual, two items closed to my heart were entirely missing, a decent online fanstore that is realistic in its pricing and an integrated mobile App with its own development pipeline. Heck, I’d pay for that App.
Nothing positive to report from the Brand/Eve Store roundtable sadly, same negative bullshit as always #tweetfleet #evefanfest
— Rixx Javix (@RixxJavix) April 7, 2017
So, that was Fanfest 2017. I am getting ready to play the exact same game until at least Summer of 2018 when maybe new things are released that affect my EVE.
Actually that reminds me, I’ll do a little Fallout 4 survival mode this morning.